Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

G.W. Haywood wrote:

> A good point I missed.  I should have said in my previous post that
> the USB interface devices that I used on the Pi 4B were both USB2 and
> USB3 varieties, and that there doesn't seem to be a difference in the
> reliability between the two.  An addendum: the discs themselves were a
> selection ranging from 500GB WD and Seagate to 3TB HGST.  I did try a
> couple of old 200GB Seagate drives but the Pi4B didn't recognize them
> on USB3 interfaces, I don't yet know why.  Rebuilding 3TB filesystems
> gets old quickly, obviously I haven't even considered trying to build
> a RAID array with this rubbish.
>
> In short, still miserable.

Yes, cause it was discussed on the rpi mailing list (AFAIR) and was not
recommended for NAS. You could buy SATA extension/expansion though. I think
there was 2 or 4 port.

So on the software side you could assume that everything linux can do will
do (Samba, NFS etc), but you have to take care calculating load and
throughput.