Re: Buster without systemd?

	Hi.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 05:05:27PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 24 mar 20, 14:49:03, deloptes wrote:
> > Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > > systemd-networkd is not meant to do very complicated configurations.
> > >
> > > Why should I install an additional package (e.g. ifupdown, Network
> > > Manager, etc.) just for setting up a static IP?
> >
> > well - for static IP you don't need systemd
>
> Well, "something" has to bring up the interface with the correct IP and
> set up the default route, even if it's "just" a script calling 'ip',
> which I would then have to manually plug-in somewhere in the boot
> process.

Actually, deloptes is right and you're not.

Kernel's documentation - [1] - describes a way to force a kernel itself
to configure a network interface for IPv4, be it static or DHCP, along
with the primitive routing table (default gw at most).

Taking IPv6's RA into the account, one does not need anything but the
working kernel on the client side to get IPv6 and a primitive routing
table.

Reco

[1] /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-4.19/Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt.gz