Re: Buster without systemd?

On Mon 23 Mar 2020 at 20:27:31 (+0100), Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > I know it's a sensitive subject, and I really don't want to upset the list,
> > there's been enough of that already, but why are some people so afraid of
> > systemd?
>
> My reasons:

[…]

> Logging (journald) disables searching in /var/log: "grep -r" not really
> working there.

I commented on this already. grep -r is alive and well.

> My computer "hickups" for 20 seconds at boot. With systemd I don't have
> the slighest idea which process delays, as several processes start after
> the delay at once. I had the feeling with Init scripts it was more obvious
> to see which "startup file" hangs.

$ systemd-analyze critical-chain

Is that any help in finding what's waiting for what?

> Its flooding syslog/messages with unnecessary information (type: INFO).

Does removing "info" from the .conf file not work?

> But some important messages are not found in syslog nor messages.

Which ones are missing?

> No easy way to find out: if and what fails. Example: After months I found
> out that mlocate doesn't update it's database anymore: previously updates
> were done by cron, but the distri moved to systemd's way (timer) and by
> default the updatedb was disabled.

I've not touched the default. What did you have to change to make it run?

$ ls -l /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
-rw-r----- 1 root mlocate 46870853 Mar 23 08:18 /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
$

Cheers,