Re: Buster without systemd?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:51:18 +0100
kjonca@fastmail.com (Kamil Jońca) wrote:

> Well. I am quite happy when systemd start to govern
> services/daemons.

Good for you.

I don't suppose you use gpsd under systemd. The gpsd maintainers hate
systemd with a passion because systemd makes assumptions about daemons
which simply do not apply to gpsd. And every time the gpsd maintainers
cobble together some way of beating systemd into submission, systemd
changes the rules and we're back to the drawing board.

> I also understand timers - cron and anacron sometimes are too "weak".

What does "weak" mean?

cron has its problems. So someone -- debian? -- glued anacron on top of
that, giving us the subsequent mess. Now along comes systemd with more
of the same ill-thought-out design? No thanks.

> But now systemd wants:
> - manage network interfaces
> - do name resolving
> - and so on.
> and quite often it cannot do it properly (ie. with little more
> complicated configuration).

And there's perfectly good code out there, some of which has been in
use since before Bill Gates was in diapers.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/