Re: Buster without systemd?

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 06:21:56PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Supposedly, one can install/upgrade to Buster while maintaining sysv
> as init.  Or has this changed.  Over the past several months I have
> been attempting to upgrade to Buster, but I have been completely
> unsuccessful.
>
> Has anyone managed to upgrade to Buster without installing systemd,
> or jumping through hoops that would drive a lion tamer mad?

I'm currently running Buster, upgraded from Stretch. It makes sense
to either raise sysv-rc or to lower systemd in your apt preferences:
some more advanced installers tend to come up with creative solutions
to dependency problems. Nothing that can't be managed, but...

Note that if you expect some "advanced desktop stuff" things might
become more difficult.

> Is it possible to do what I want?  Or, after 21 to 22 years of using
> Debian (since Bo), do I have to switch to another linux distro?  I
> would rather not have to switch, but you choose the distro that
> suits your needs, and if Debian no longer suits my needs then I may
> have to.

Less drama and more helping hands would be appreciated. There is a
Debian sysvinit maintainers group who maintain the sysv-rc package.

Devuan could use some help too. Drama unnecessarily burns up CPU
cycles.

Cheers
-- tomás