iPhone as bluetooth audio source for buster

Hello

Recently I wanted to connect my iPhone 7 to a new Buster install in the
same way I had many years before with an earlier iPhone and earlier
Debian, so I could play music from it through my speakers.

Bluetooth setup on the Debian machine is basically working; I can
connect to a variety of devices and can play audio from the PC through
bluetooth headphones etc.

Bluetooth setup on the phone also seems to be fine as it can connect to
and use bluetooth headphones, speaker, my car etc.

I have successfully paired and connected my phone and my Debian machine,
but the Debian machine doesn't seem to recognise the phone as an audio
source. Once paired and connected, my GNOME seems ready to use a network
through the phone's bluetooth, but if I start to play audio on the
phone, I get silence -- which tells me the phone expects it to work as
it isn't using its speaker, but something isn't right at the computer
end.

Instructions on the internet are, I suspect, out of date, referring to
older versions of bluez. In particular I see references to adding text
to /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf, but that file does not exist on my system
and according to apt-file there is no package in Buster that would put
it there.

Nonetheless following the possibly-antiquated instructions, after
connecting the phone to the computer I try to create a loopback device
for pulseaudio with:

$ pactl load-module module-loopback \
source=bluez_source.XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX \
sink=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

<where XX_XX etc is the Bluetooth address of my phone which I got from
the Gnome bluetooth applet>

which gives me the response:

Failure: Module initialization failed

Anyone have any advice what I should check to find what's missing?

Thanks in advance

Mark