Re: “No application currently records sound.”

On 2020-03-07 12:52, fuf wrote:
Hello!
I feel guilty asking this question, but I want to save time.
Problem: I installed Debian-Xfce by default a long time ago, I use speakers
and headphones - everything is fine. But now I need a microphone.
“PulseAudio Volume Control”, leading the entire sound, feels that the
microphone is connected through the connector, and allows me to change the
sensitivity, but when I click the “Record” label, it says: “No application
currently records sound.” Out of ignorance, I installed many packages,
hoping that the problem goes away by itself, but no! “Currently, no
application is recording sound.” Why?
Asus laptop for about 13 years.
Tell me what should I do?
Thanks all.

Please tell us:

1. What hardware you have -- e.g. make and model of computer, microphone, and any other devices or cables you plan to use. Provide URL's.

2. What software you have -- cut and paste the following commands into a terminal. Then cut and paste the prompts, the commands, and the output into a reply:

    cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a

    dpkg-query --list | egrep -i 'xfce|sound|audio'

3. What you are trying to accomplish -- e.g. which A/D converter you want to use (laptop microphone port?), number of channels (one?), sampling rate (? kHz), quantization depth (? bits), file format (wav, mp3 kbps, ?), and what the file will be used for (web site, casual listening, critical listening, master a commercial project, ?).

4. Anything else that is relevant, such as your knowledge/ skill level, disabilities, budget, schedule.

On 2020-03-07 18:11, fuf wrote:
> I installed: Audacity,
> Jack mixer
> Metetbridge
> QjackCtl.
> Synaptic also offers:
> gnome-sound-recorder:
> “A simple and modern voice recorder for GNOME”, but I stopped. I see
> that this exceeds a reasonable need, and I want to get advice on which
> package to keep.

That depends upon what you have and what you are trying to accomplish, above.

David