Re: normalize audio in mp4s

On 2020-03-06 18:05, Emanuel Berg wrote:

<snip>

Well, it sounds advanced... Yes, its a stereo alright, that much
I know.

I tried this but it sounds so bad I even had to put a warning in
a comment:

# first do:
# $ pip install ffmpeg-normalize
#
# but... don't use, at least not with music, sounds terrible :(
get-mp3-normalized () {
     local -a files
     files=($@)

     local dB=-10 # db/LUFS

     for f in $files; do
         ffmpeg-normalize -f -c:a libmp3lame -t $dB -ext mp3 $f
     done
} # [1]

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/audio-convert

It is going to be difficult or impossible to get good results across many different mp4 files by feeding them all through a command-line tool with the same set of options. It might be possible to script a solution that uses command-line tools to analyze each file and tune the options, but I dunno...

The most direct path to good results would be to use an interactive audio editor. Then it's up to your skills as an audio engineer. As, Audacity only does audio files, the workflow would be to use a video tool to extract the audio tracks, rework the audio with Audacity, and then use a video tool to replace the old audio with the new audio.

Be sure you backup your original files before you start messing with them.

David