Re: normalize audio in mp4s

On 2020-03-06 11:33, Emanuel Berg wrote:
how can I normalize the audio in mp4 video files? both WRT not
having to lower the volume when there's a firefight and raise it
when they start talking again, _and_ WRT playing several files, e.g.
music videos, and having them have basically the same volume?

if need be, I can set volume modifications to each file, manually if
I knew how to do it. this wouldn't work for firefight/talk
movies tho.

or can it be done automatically, on the fly?

I use mpv.

You want audio compression.

Some media editors, such as Audacity, have compression (and many other features).

Some media players, such as VLC, have real-time audio compression during playback.

I use Xfce.   I do not see a compressor in its PulseAudio Plugin/ mixer.

There have been various audio API's/ subsystems in Linux over the years. JACK was designed for profession audio on Linux, and is very flexible. If you can get your audio streams into JACK, it should be possible to patch in a software compressor:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

Alternatively, hardware. If you are running old-school stereo speakers, you could buy an electronic compressor. There are many choices. Rolls makes good purpose-built stuff at reasonable prices:

    https://rolls.com/product/SL33

David