Re: Music players that save (different) volume settings for each song (was: Re: mplayer with -loop 0 but w/o volume reset?

On Tue 03 Mar 2020 at 07:22:49 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 03, 2020 05:57:27 AM Curt wrote:
> > On 2020-03-02, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > > $ mplayer -volume 50 -fs -loop 0 -softvol Youtube/Come\ Live\ With\
> > > Me-_bVNd_sRlMk.mkv
>
> (I'm not the OP.)  I wonder if there are any music players that can save a
> (play)list along with a selected volume for each song on the playlist?  (Or
> use a database of songs with volume setting, and then access the database as
> the playlist calls for a song?)
>
> (I'm aware of things (not sure that any are implemented in LInux music
> players) that try to "normalize" the audio by either reviewing the content of
> the entire song or some portion of it and and adjust the volume to be similar
> to the volume of other songs on the playlist, but those don't always work as
> well as I would like.  Something that allowed you to set a volume for each
> song (and maybe even store a list of volume changes for songs that had large
> changes in volume) would be nice.)

The easiest way, with mpv, is to use the per-file options, just over
300 lines through the man page. For example, and using foo.mkv to
stand for the file above:

$ mpv --fs --\{ --volume=100 foo.mkv --\} --\{ --volume=50 foo.mkv --\} --\{ --volume=100 foo.mkv --\}

It might seem futile to triplicate one file for the playlist, but it
demonstrates that the volume changes are genuine.

Cheers,
David.