Re: HPLIP - upgrade to 3.20.0 and can no longer print.

Quoting Brad Rogers (2020-03-04 15:18:47)
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 09:03:04 -0500
> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >I wonder whether this might therefore be the result of a change in
> >cups, rather than in hplip.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  Frankly, I have no idea what the change in
> CUPS means.  That is, what are the implications WRT to hplip?
>
> Should I be removing hplip, for example?

I recommend to file a bugreport, which also means you get feedback from
those maintaining the package.

I recommend to file the issue against the package where you experienced
it - hplip - it is easy later reassign as needed.

It is nice, however, that you mention in the bugreport how you've been
suggested this possible relationship with CUPS.

> If yes, that would be a pity, since hplip has some features I find
> useful, though not essential.  I can, for example, simply walk to the
> printer to find out about ink levels, but it's nice to be able to do
> that job without moving from the desk.

Share your concerns with those who can actually act on this: The Debian
maintainers of the package you are concerned about: I.e. consider file a
(low severity) bugreport against cups raising your concerns about
weakened user experience.  Phrase is constructively and friendly - if it
is perceived as "whining" (regardless of whether that was your
intention) then there's obviously a higher risk that the bugreport will
be dismissed without proper reflection.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas