Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

Tony van der Hoff <lists@vanderhoff.org> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm currently running Buster on a 5 year old GigaByte motherboard with
> a 10-year old Raid-1 array on 2 500GB disks. Although it is running
> fine, I'm becoming a bit concerned about the longevity of this
> storage, so I'm planning to upgrade it to a 500GB or maybe 1TB SSD
> from Crucial.
>
> My plan would be to install the SSD in the cage, and dd the contents
> of the array onto the SSD. I would then change the BIOS to boot from
> the SSD, making the RAID array redundant.
>
> Can someone please tell me whether this plan is feasible, and what
> pitfalls I might encounter?

I've found the best way to migrate to new disks, especially if I've
already got a RAID array, is to put the new disk in, add it to the
array, wait for the array to synchronize, remove the old disks from
array.  Now install grub on the new disk.  If the new disk is larger
than the old ones were, now resize the filesystem to match.

This has worked well enough for me that I've got several one-disk RAID 1
arrays in anticipation of eventual upgrades.