Re: This is weird: I can ssh into a box, but I can't access it directly

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 01:47:10PM -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Interesting that "root from SSH" would behave differently than "local
> root".  That's news to me.

Well, they run different programs, and read different config files.
A console login uses getty + login, and reads /etc/pam.d/login.  An
ssh login uses sshd, and reads /etc/pam.d/sshd.

If one of those files is damaged beyond recovery, it could affect
one type of login, but not the other.