Re: "package pgm2tiff not found" . . .

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:56:33PM +0100, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  I need to install the packages used by unpaper to help tesseract do its magic:
>
>  https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/unpaper/unpaper.1
>
>  Input and output files can be in either .pbm, .pgm or .ppm format,
> thus generally in .pnm format, as also used by the Linux scanning
> tools scanimage and scanadf. Conversion to PDF can e.g. be achieved
> with the Linux tools pgm2tiff, tiffcp and tiff2pdf.

Aha. "Tools", not "packages" -- to note.

> ~
>  but I keep getting:
>
> # date; time  apt-get install pgm2tiff -y
> Do 27. Feb 12:46:17 CET 2020
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
> Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
> E: Paket pgm2tiff kann nicht gefunden werden.

That means there is no package named "pgm2tiff". Now where did
you get the notion from that there should be one (I'm trying
to "debug" the proces here, so there's something for us all
to learn).

There is a program (aka "tool") called tiff2pdf:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ apt-file search tiff2pdf
  hylafax-server: /var/spool/hylafax/bin/tiff2pdf
  libtiff-doc: /usr/share/doc/libtiff-doc/html/man/tiff2pdf.1.html
  libtiff-tools: /usr/bin/tiff2pdf
  libtiff-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/tiff2pdf.1.gz

...so in this case you're looking for the package libtiff-tools
Likewise, tiffcp is in there, too. I can't find a pgm2tiff, though.

The tool apt-file is part of the package "apt-file" (yes, in that
case the names coincide :-)

If you dont want to install apt-file, you can search for packages
containing your tool here:

  https://packages.debian.org

Cheers
-- tomás