Re: XFCE doesn't start

Hello!

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM ghe <ghe@slsware.net> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:16:36AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> He said above that he expected the `slim` (aka SLiM) display manager.

> Oh.  I've never heard of that one.   <snip>

Neither had I.  But, if it can replace SDDM, I'd love to do it, as I am peeved in a Buster KDE System, on a fairly sizable Partition, with a number of usernames, based on function.  (i.e.  devel [Kernel Development], music [Classical Music], and hercules (IBM Mainframe Emulation), all of which were set up with my name (same as my normal sea7kenp user).  Unfortunately, SDDM uses your Given Name, instead of username in its Signon Banners!

So, to test all of this, I just installed a Minimal Buster on a USB Stick.  (When given the choice of Apt Choices, I only check "System Utilities" and "ssh Server").

After the install, I booted it up, properly getting the usual Text Consoles.  So, I do "apt-get install slim", which also brings in several X11 Packages.  That succeeded, and then I Rebooted.

I have the Original Poster's situation, where X, with slim doesn't come up.  Fancy that!

Working on it. There seems to be /usr/bin/X11/x<something> missing
(where it went and why are interesting questions).  <snip>

In my case, there are, likely other Packages I should have selected, when installing slim.  But my case is the simplest one.

Thanks much for the systemd suggestions. Looks like they're going to
solve the problem.

That's an interesting concept:  What happens if I enter "systemctl start graphical-target"?  Let's see...

Ah!  Some additional setup needed for sure!  "Failed to start graphical-target.service:  Unit graphical-target.service not found".

So:  Installing slim, by itself isn't enough to get Graphics!  I'm adding myself, without the urgency (as this is a Test System) to this issue.

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker
ReplyForward