Re: The nightmare of Intel Integrated GPUs under Linux in general and Debian in particular

Le 13/02/2020 à 12:34, deloptes a écrit :
Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:

I've never had an Intel GPU but always had the impression they
were pretty solid, but my opinion is changing.

As a user of Intel GPUs for the last 5 years I can tell you Intel GPUs
and Linux are just a nightmare. A truly pain in the ass.

May be in yours but not in mine and I think it is valid for many others.

I does not help the OP, but I almost never had any issue with Intel GPU since I use Linux and Debian… Only a few times. I don't run games, but uses Gnome 3.

Note that kernel 5.5 may still have issues

Yeah, I read it. I have been playing with the xserver-xorg-video-intel
in Buster with kernel 4.19.0-8 and trying different options in
xorg.conf I didn't get any hang since 10 hours ago, almost a new
record for me. Also text console corruption has disappeared, so I will
use this configuration to try to get pending work done, and then.... I
will see. I still don't rule out buying a new graphics card.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. They are really helping
me.

My PC is running sometimes for months as mentioned before with earlier
kernel versions there were indeed issues, but 4.19.25 was the hit for me.

If you look at the changelog - many things changed and improved.

I already forgot what was your board, but it could be something else in your
configuration that causes those issues. Many people use some experimental
options etc. in Xorg and then complain.