Re: Install OpenSMTPD from source or use the Debian packages?

On qua, 12 fev 2020, Tom Browder wrote:

I started looking in to use of OpenSMPTD for a mail server and have
installed it from Debian packages.

In the process of reading a blog article by the current developer I
discovered the upstream is now at version 6.6.2p1+ after some serious
security issues were discovered by SSL Labs (Qualys). Note that Debian
10 is only at version 6.0.3p1!  See the source at:

  https://github.com/OpenSMTPD/OpenSMTPD

I would like to install from source but I wonder if that is such a
smart move, especially when we now use systemd and the source is set
up with the traditional GNU automake system and I don't see any
provision for systemd.  I don't grok systemd very well and usually
rely on others for the proper setup.

I have asked for help on the OpenSMTPD mailing list, but I suggested
my first effort would be to use the systemd setup used by the Debian
installation (with appropriate renaming). I haven't received an answer
yet.

buster-backports has 6.6.2p1: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=opensmtpd

But note that while Debian stable rarely gets new versions, security fixes are backported onto the stable versions, so 6.0.3p1 might be "old", but probably has the security bugs fixed. You can see the status in https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/opensmtpd .
--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br