Re: Install OpenSMTPD from source or use the Debian packages?

Quoting Tom Browder (2020-02-12 18:53:09)
> I started looking in to use of OpenSMPTD for a mail server and have
> installed it from Debian packages.
>
> In the process of reading a blog article by the current developer I
> discovered the upstream is now at version 6.6.2p1+ after some serious
> security issues were discovered by SSL Labs (Qualys). Note that Debian
> 10 is only at version 6.0.3p1!  See the source at:
>
>   https://github.com/OpenSMTPD/OpenSMTPD
>
> I would like to install from source but I wonder if that is such a
> smart move, especially when we now use systemd and the source is set
> up with the traditional GNU automake system and I don't see any
> provision for systemd.  I don't grok systemd very well and usually
> rely on others for the proper setup.
>
> I have asked for help on the OpenSMTPD mailing list, but I suggested
> my first effort would be to use the systemd setup used by the Debian
> installation (with appropriate renaming). I haven't received an answer
> yet.

Please beware that Debian backports bugfixes for stable releases, so it
is not enough to look at version numbers to know if a package is
vulnerable or not, you need to also inspect which patches has been
applied.

That said, feel free to try do a better job than Debian.  If you like
such work, then please do consider joining Debian so that others can
benefit from the refinements that you make for yourself - that's why
most if not all of us Debian developers do what we do: maintain and
distribute our refinements as a coherent whole :-)

Kind regards,

 - Jonas