Re: FOSS friendly PDA?

David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 11 Feb 2020 at 17:32:57 (-0500), Dan Ritter wrote:
> > David Wright wrote:
> I presume that the ability to make calls is covered by the item
> "Quectel EG-25G with worldwide bands" (by a process of elimination).
> I think my GalaxyY is "quad-band", which allegedly covers the UK and
> US, though the latter in untested as I don't have a loose US SIM.
> Are there many more bands?

Sadly, yes.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries  might be useful.

> >      Modem: On enables 2G/3G/4G communication and GNSS hardware,
> > off disables.
>
> Presumably this is what they refer to as the "LTE/GNSS switch".
> Obviously I'm meant to know that it kills EG-25G too. Naturally
> I've heard of 5G, though I have no idea whether my phones are
> 2G or 3G. EG and 25G don't seem to fit into this scheme of things.
> I guess I have to settle down with a dictionary of acronyms.

There are very few regions of the world where 2G is still used
for data; a few more where it sticks around for voice.

EG? 25G? Those don't make sense to me in the context of
cellphones.

> My GalaxyY has an FM radio, as does even my Nokia C1-01.
> Is this feature completely passé nowadays?

It's usually available in the system-on-chip, and usually turned
off or not connected by the manufacturer. The lower the price of
the phone, the more likely it is to work.

-dsr-