Re: Hardware for Debian

On 2020-02-12 12:26, Malcolm Beeson-Earwicker wrote:
> I've been a Debian user for about twenty years now, and have found that I have
> to run more and more of my machines under windo$e because the latest versions of
> Debian just fail, I imagine due to all this UEFI-rubbish. Does anyone know of a
> motherboard that will run Debian please?

Last month I've replace my old system with new hardware. It has a ASUS PRO WS
X570-ACE mobo with a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU in it. I had to tweak the BIOS/UEFI a
bit to get it to boot from NVME RAM. The other thing was that Debian wouldn't
(yet) recognize on of the two ethernet ports on it (Realtek), but it wouldn't
let me use the other port on it either (Intel). Disabling the troublesome port
in the BIOS solved that problem. Apart from that it is a wonderful system to
work with. I've had no trouble at all with it. It is stable and everything seems
to work just fine. And in case you consider virtualisation: libvirt is seriously
flying on this platform! No compatibility problems there either. I can really
recommend it. However it was a bit on the pricey side and budget is always
something to consider.

Grx HdV