Re: The nightmare of Intel Integrated GPUs under Linux in general and Debian in particular

Hi Miguel,

"Miguel A. Vallejo" <ea4eoz@gmail.com> wrote:

>What are my alternatives? nVidia cards? I've never used an nVidia card
>but I have read also tons of problems with them in the past. How about
>now? And how about AMD cards?
>
>What are your recommendations / experiences?

I have used nVidia cards before with Debian without problems. Since a
few months, i have a machine with an ASRock IMB-1213 mobo, Intel Core
i7-9700T with:

Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution:
1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Coffeelake
3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6

I have the GPU hang bug too, but rare. After reading a lot about it and
saw a lot different ways to "configure" the system for the Intel GPU,
i have choosen the follwing steps (with Debian Buster, Xfce, 5.4
backports kernel before and 5.5.3 vanilla kernel now):

in /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.fastboot=1 i915.force_probe=*
i915.modeset=1 i915.enable_psr=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.enable_guc=2

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-serverdevice.conf:
Section "Device"
	Identifier "card0"
	Driver "intel"
	Screen 0
	Option "Accel" "true"
	Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
	Option "TearFree" "true"
	Option "VSync" "true"
	Option "PageFlip" "true"
	Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
	Option "Tiling" "true
EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-servermodule.conf:
Section "Module"
	Load "glx"
	Load "intel"
EndSection

Some people are using the modesetting + glamor vs. intel + SNA driver.

--
mlnl