Re: Ethernet trouble

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 11:05:32AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 04:53:28PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > I see, thanks. I must admit that I don't know very much about how
> > systemd names network interfaces. In practice, what I get to see
> > roughly follows the known conventions (bus number, etc).
> >
> > Udev is/was just a mechanism to implement those conventions. Or
> > different ones.
>
> > Is it using something else than udev, these days?
>
> Yes.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames
> http://manpages.debian.org/systemd.link

Thanks.

Now I understand the confusion. What's being called "udev" here
was just that one MAC-based "70-persistent-rules" thingy. Nowadays
(Buster, no systemd but udev) Debian ships udev rules implementing
the "predictable" scheme (as it's called in the above wiki). Cf.
75-net-description.rules, for example.

And systemd relies on udev to actually implement its mechanism,
as can be guessed from the man page you link to above.

So -- strictly speaking, "udev" is just the mechanism, the
policy is defined by sets of udev rules (possibly disguised
as .link files whenever systemd is in control) -- and loosely
speaking, whenever folks say here "udev interface names", they
are talking about the now defunct MAC based [1] interface
names once-upon-a-time implemented by a sadly notorious
70-persistent-net.rules or something (the exact spelling
escapes me at the moment).

On my original post: I was talking about those (newer)
"predictable" interface names. I've no use for them.
Someone else might. YMMV. Etc.

Cheers

[1] This one bit me once in the ass. Remember that thing
   where a virtual machine used to roll dice on the mac
   address of its virtual interface?

-- tomás