Re: Ethernet trouble

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 09:52:29AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 31, 2020 09:39:37 AM Dan Ritter wrote:
> > All of this would be, I think, 999999% better than what we have now.
>
> +1 -- sounds good!

Yeah, but it isn't. As Michael points out, most solutions proposed
here have been tried and none is "always good". Mac addresses, for
example, aren't as "fixed" or "stable" as one would make them out
(and actually in some case they are forcibly changed, for privacy
reasons [1]).

Whoever has been admining or near-admining for a while (I've, for
nearly as long as Unix exists) can share a bunch of stories.

Dan, RH -- believe me, you're running in circles :-)

The best one can do is to offer the necessary building blocks to
fix the problem du jour (udev does, for the moment, at least).

Persistent device names, as we know them now, are just the last
(failed) attempt. Some folks like them, some dislike them, I'm
happy & thankful that there's a way to choose with a reasonable
amount of effort.

Cheers

[1] Mobile devices and their WiFi mac address.
-- t