Re: Planning a Debian NAS

On Tuesday 28 January 2020 14:02:24 deloptes wrote:

> Aidan Gauland wrote:
> >>
> >> Can a r-pi be set up with RAID easily?
> >
> > Going by all the replies on this subthread, even the latest model
> > r-pi sounds like a terrible choice for a NAS, unless all you want is
> > a single HDD on ethernet.
>
> Well not exactly, but for the money, there are may be better options.
>
> The rpi4 is powerful enough to replace a low end work station. This is
> why I bought one, but still there is comfort missing, however if you
> buy SATA extentions .... but then you could buy something more
> appropriate for the same money I guess, cause it would go above 200,-
> US$.
> Look here
> http://linuxgizmos.com/sata-hats-support-up-to-four-drives-on-raspberr
>y-pi-4-or-rock-pi-4/
>
> Technically it works and from linux perspective it doesn't matter if
> it is RPI or something else. Might be that drivers are not that well
> tested though.
>
> regards

If the drivers run on an x86, they run on a rpi4. I am running a realtime
kernel, and linuxcnc to run an 11x54 Sheldon lathe about 75 yo. And
trying to convince the lcnc folks to add it back into their
distribution. See everything you need to make it run on Raspbian 10.2 at
the link in my sig, add "lathe-stf/" to the address line, and you'll see
a linuxcnc4rpi4 subdir, click on that and download what you need after
reading the README. Intended to drive a Mesa interface card, which needs
a 1 millisecond servo-thread, the jitter just now was 45 microseconds.
1/20th of the the max allowed.  So it does that job in what is
effectively real time.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis