Re: Dell BIOS Changes

J. D. Leach wrote:

> Have a Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop with the latest Dell firmware
> (1.12.2). This update, and numerous of the preceding ones, do not allow
> ANY type of loading of Debian (or any othe Linux flavor) onto the PC. In
> the BIOS configuration menu, no option is available to boot from the DVD
> drive, or USB, unless a Windows recovery media is detected. Linux loader
> programs likewise fail, and Windows loads instead. PC is about two years
> old.
>
> Looked all across the 'Net and have found zero fixes outside of wiping
> the hard drive. The latest Dell support pages regarding the set up of
> the boot sequence does not cover the firmware installed on my PC.
>
> I suspect Microsoft is back to trying to squelch the use of software
> other than what it approves of.
>
> Thought you might wish to be aware.

Since last upgrade of the companies notebook it can no longer boot from NFS
(TFTP boot) or USB stick. The reason is UEFI+Secure boot. Unfortunately
they protected the bios with password, I do not have.

Might be you look into UEFI and secure boot unless it is defaulted and you
can not remove, which I doubt.