Re: graphics woes :-(

Felix Miata wrote on 1/27/20 4:47 PM:
> D. R. Evans composed on 2020-01-27 14:57 (UTC-0700):
>
>> I'm sure I'm missed out important information, so feel free to ask and I'll do
>> my best to answer.
>
> I have a display that takes a long time to initialize when connected to a PC using
> UEFI mode and a disk configured with GPT and UEFI boot, but not connected to an
> MBR disk. So IME, this trouble may be as much to blame on the display itself as
> the PC.
>
> In no particular order, things to try re the access to BIOS problem:
>
> 1-when you do get into BIOS, turn off Fast Boot.

There is no Fast Boot setting.

> 2-check for a BIOS upgrade

Will do, but the mobo is several years old, and the BIOS was recently updated.

> 3-disconnect the HD, and try turning PC on with only a DVD, CD or 2.0 USB stick as
> potential boot device (to make it take longer to handoff from POST to boot)

That will be very difficult, and I'm not exactly sure how that would be
expected change the visibility of the BIOS screen.

> 4-Don't wait for a beep to try BIOS access keys (F2/DEL/whatever)

Tried that; nothing appears on the display, although to judge from the (lack
of) sounds from the drives, it "thinks" it is displaying the BIOS screen. No
textual boot messages appear.

> 5-try another display (or a TV)

I don't have one that I can easily switch. This display works fine on several
other debian computers, though, and works with Intel with the problem
computer, except for the flickering problem I mentioned.

> 6-connect to the display using the connector closest to the motherboard and/or
> farthest from the expansion slots

I don't understand what you're saying. There's the motherboard (Intel)
connector and the card connector, and obviously I have to switch to the card
connector to use the add-on graphics card, so I'm really not understanding
what you're suggesting.

> 7-once in the BIOS, make the initial display output selection not equal to IGP
> 1st, e.g. Disabled

I don't see any mention of any kind of display output in the BIOS settings.

> Re tearing with Intel:
>
> If this is a dual channel RAM motherboard with only one RAM stick installed,
> switch to a matched pair. Intel GPUs share system RAM. Also, in BIOS, adjust the
> amount of RAM allocated to GPU. (DVMT Pre-Allocated and DVMT Total Gfx Mem on my
> Gigabyte)

I don't see anything like that in any BIOS screen.

FWIW, the motherboard is a SuperMicro MBD-X11SAT-F-P, with an AMI BIOS.

> Re cheap graphics cards:
> Any of the under $15 PCIe NVidia cards on eBay should suffice, but then so should
> your 750 Ti.

Yes, I thought that the 750 Ti would just plug in and work. But (obviously) it
doesn't :-(

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans