Re: windstream and linux

On 1/26/20, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, john doe wrote:
>
>> On 1/26/2020 4:40 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> > Is it possible to use a linux computer and do activation and
>> > registration
>> > of an account on windstream?
>> > If not I think I can have a relative of the friend me and another linux
>> > user tried to help out bring over a windows laptop to get those steps
>> > handled.
>> >

>> If you are talking about (1), This looks to me like it is an ISP, so I
>> would say that the OS used to registere sign up is irrelevant.
>>

>> 1)  https://www.windstream.com/support/my-account-and-payments
>>

> My reason for asking is when ip link set enp0s0 up was tried
> the device couldn't be taken out of no carrier mode
> and threw lots of hex code back for output.

Up top here before all the rest of my rambling.. I use wvdial for
dialup connections. There's a line in /etc/wvdial.conf that says:

Carrier Check = no

THAT has singlehandedly helped me connect on regular occasion where
connections failed repeatedly when that didn't exist OR if that option
was left turned on (yes) in any GUI interfaces for that same tweak.

What I'm hoping is maybe there's a dot conf file or similar in your
file hierarchy that has a spot just for something like that to be
flipped on and off as one test point.......

Now the rest of what I wrote before that thought occurred:

I know from Windstream. They've been around a long while.

One of the pokes I took at this was to try a search for "no carrier"
for them. Didn't see much but DID see some folks chatting up lines
being oversold [0]. That could potentially apply to almost any
provider. Would that maybe trigger a "no carrier" error if lines are
jammed?

Before sending this out, I checked one more time to see if you all had
figured it out already. I saw the mention of 900 miles. THAT is one
point in the "AnandTech" thread that I found in my Internet search.

The length of the line in between the end User and the access point
can affect things. In this day and age of so many years of Internet
connections, it should be the responsibility of that provider to KNOW
and DISCLOSE that important detail.

A different train of thought is: Are you set up to use GUI-type
interface? For in-house hardwired ethernet connections, I've had
really good luck with package wicd. It's in the "network manager"
package family. It has Users who both like and don't like it for
various reasons.

My install ALWAYS default opens in a small interface. There's a barely
noticeable dropdown arrow just to the right of "Switch On Wi-fi". A
"Preferences" option sits under that. There are a couple of tabs that
offer the chance to e.g. debug. I've never noticed anything about "no
carrier". I'm only familiar with that at all because of using wvdial.

What I'm thinking is MAYBE wicd can help you get connected THEN you
can doodle around until you find out what's not going correctly via
command line.

AND, now that I think more on it, if wicd does not work, one option is
to run THAT program via command line to see if it spits out any useful
error messages on the [terminal] window behind it as it runs.

Which NEXT makes me wonder out loud: Do any log files have error
messages that are timed to when you're trying to do this?

A disclaimer about wicd is that I haven't had a usage case to test
access to an outside party's connection. I've only used it to connect
to a second in-house laptop or PC that's acting as a modem to the
outside World.

For me, it's like where I'm using wvdial right now for my Internet
connection. They're often just "intelligent" interfaces that tweak the
very same programs we might use and potentially knock heads with to
get the same end result.

They're a cheat. That's probably a top, understandable reason why some
Users are in the "don't like" pool on some GUIs. I'm like that about
package managers now. I canNOT imagine using anything except
apt/apt-get command line interface ever since I dug in and self-taught
how to do that several years ago.

There is so much less "bloat" on our computers when we can do as much
as possible straight from entering text on a command line. *grin*

PS About wvdial, it's used straight from the command line. It's been
so hefty and consistent in dialup connection capability that I ALWAYS
think of it as a GUI for some reason....

[0] https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/dsl-inconsistent-at-home-but-not-at-work.2287139/

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey