Issue with headset on debian testing

Hi.

I want to file a bug report, but I am not familiar with sound system in linux enough to determine which package is to blame.

So, my issue started only recently. I have a laptop with Debian Testing. Previously, when I plug in my headset (2x 3.5mm jacks - one for headphones, one for mic) the system automatically switched to it, both input and output. After some system update whenever I plug my headset in, Gnome started showing prompt if I plugged in headphones, headset or external mic, and according to my choice it configures sound settings.

The issue is that when I have Headphones selected for output and External mic for input (which correspond to my headset headphones and mic correspondingly), sound cannot be played via headset’s headphones. Whenever I switch input from external mic to built-in laptop mic, sound from headphones resumes. But it results in me being unable to use the headset (as I am unable to use either headphones or mic).

I believe the issue started after an upgrade which involved linux image update from 5.3.9-3 to 5.4.8-1. I haven’t been able to confirm that as rolling back to the older kernel version did not fix the issue, though. I did multiple system updates before final reboot which exposed the issue, so identifying which update broke it is very hard.

I have spent some time to rule out PulseAudio as possible cause of the issue. More details on the issue overall and how I ruled PA out are available in this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=144902

I have little understanding on what is involved in the sound system below PA. ALSA? Kernel? What could be broken and how to debug it?

Any help is appreaciated.

Regards,
-av