Re: Sudo

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 10:50:37AM -0700, Harold Hartley wrote:
I installed 10.2...

Good.

Yes, I created a root password and a user account.

Good; that is all you need.  Unless others have access to the machine
and you have unusual concerns regarding security, forget about sudo.

... when logged in as a user and type sudo or su apt-get update it
then should ask for the root password and then does it???s thing. At
least that's how it worked when I used Debian before.

When logged in as a normal user, type su; Debian should request the
root password.  Upon entering the root password, you should have the
root prompt (#).  Then execute "apt-get update".  When you are
finished, execute "exit", which should return you to the normal user
prompt ($).

I normally do maintenance via synaptic.  As a normal user I execute
synaptic, and synaptic asks for the root password.

RLH