Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On 2020-01-24, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new laptop running Buster (with the MATE desktop) and noticed my
> Emacs highlighted text was not showing any differently than non-highlighted
> text. After some conversation on the #emacs IRC channel, it was suggested I
> run this in a terminal window and restart Emacs:
>
>   $ xrdb /dev/null
>
> Lo and behold Emacs highlighting worked again!

I guess we'll never know why unless you show us the output of

 xrdb -query

I heard about one fellow whose window background color was strangely
similar to his emacs highlighting color, and this explained why his
highlighting efforts were suboptimal and even quite close to being
totally invisible.

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud