Re: identity confusion

On 2020-01-24 at 13:13, David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 24 Jan 2020 at 12:36:13 (-0500), The Wanderer wrote:

>> FWIW, his messages display on my end as plain text; I have my client set
>> up to do plain-text display only, and if a HTML-only message shows up it
>> actually tends to display as *blank*. So I infer that he's actually
>> sending in both formats (which examining the raw message confirms), and
>> whatever client you're using is choosing the HTML form but displaying it
>> raw, instead of choosing the plain-text form.
>>
>> I vaguely seem to recall this being a client option that I set on my
>> end, but I don't recall where and I can't find it in a quick search now.
>
> The transition here between header and body at the server is

>   <head>

It's the same on this end.

> so I think something might be converting your copy.
>
> How did you examine your raw message?

With the Thunderbird "View" -> "Message Source" option (Ctrl+U).

I've just re-checked the raw message, and although I could have sworn
I'd seen a plain-text version of the message included (at the bottom,
after the HTML version), I'm not seeing it now; I just see the HTML
block. So unless something has magically modified this on my end but
still displays it the same way, I may have mis-reported initially.

The setting which controls this selection in Thunderbird is almost
certainly "View" -> "Message Body" -> "Plain text" (vs. either "Simple
HTML" or "Original HTML"), but why that's resulting in plain text for
this message when I see others appear as blank I don't know.

Sorry for having introduced confusion here.

--
   The Wanderer