Re: [solved] passphrase feedback when unlocking disk at boot

On Thu 23 Jan 2020 at 21:23:07 (+0100), Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting David Wright (2020-01-23 20:51:13)

> > > Yes, that was it.  I installed plymouth on the first system and
> > > rebooted, and now it prints a "*" for each character in the
> > > passphrase.
> >
> > It would be interesting to know why installing plymouth made any
> > difference. My system prints asterisks even though plymouth is not
> > installed.
> >
> > Were there any other packages installed along with plymouth?
>
> Seems it is part of systemd to switch behaviour when plymouth is
> available:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/1432265/comments/9

I don't understand much of that page.

But in any case, the user made their system print asterisks by
installing plymouth. So why does my system print them without
having plymouth installed? Is this just a DE problem rather
than a systemd one? (I don't have a DE.)

For me, the more interesting question would be how to ask for the
password when using   udisksctl unlock   in the same way as
happens during booting when crypttab is being acted upon. The
latter (crypttab) prints asterisks whereas the former (udisksctl) doesn't.

Cheers,
David.