passphrase feedback when unlocking disk at boot

I have 2 systems running Buster with encrypted disks.  The first system
was upgraded to Buster; I think the original install was Stretch.  The
second system was installed with Buster.

With the first system, when I enter the passphrase at the "please unlock
disk" prompt, there is no visual feedback.  With the second system, I
get a "*" for each character that I type.

Is there some configuration option I can change on the first system so
that it behaves like the second one?  Alternatively, is there a way to
tell the first system, on a one-time basis, to give me feedback as I
enter the passphrase?

The reason I ask is that this morning I was unable to unlock the disk of
the second system.  The problem was that the keyboard was not working
for one of the characters in the passphrase.  I was able to figure out
the problem because I noticed that I was not seeing a "*" when I pressed
that character.  If the keyboard problem had occurred with the first
system, I would have had a much harder time figuring it out.

thanks,
mike