Re: No official way to make Debian Live USB "persistent"?

kaye n writes:

Hello Friends!

Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be an 'official' way of
creating a Live USB Debian that is 'persistent'.

If I google it, I get instructions from other websites, like this one:

[...]

http://cosmolinux.no-ip.org/raconetlinux2/persistence.html

1. Do you think it's wise to follow the steps on that web page?

It cant hurt to try, but I'd do it differently.

2.  Please confirm my understanding of 'persistence'.  If I boot a Debian
Live USB, connect to the internet via wifi, download gimp, vlc, kdenlive, and
freecad, and then I shutdown down the computer and boot the Live USB again,
the Live USB Debian would remember the wifi password and connect
automatically, and gimp, vlc, kdenlive and freecad would all still be there.
That is persistence, yes?

Yes, that would also be my understanding :)

I think the reason for there not being any official Debian instructions on
this is that there is IMHO very little point in doing anything like a
"persistent live USB". The advantages of live images are these:

+ run off read-only media (less and less needed, but I still like it)
+ not be changed s.t. they provide a good "testing" environment.

Once you do not need this read-only abilities anymore, what is the point in
using a live image? If it is about the ability to boot either under UEFI or
under BIOS, I am not sure whether the method described under the post you
liked will allow this...

In case you want a "portable" system with persistence, just install Debian
to your USB medium of choice using the regular installer. In this case you
need to pay a little attention to the following things:

* Install the bootloader on the same device that you are installing the
  system to. If you only have one computer and do not want to use a virtual
  machine for the installation, the "first hard drive" will usually be
  occupied by your regular installation, but for live operation you need
  to install the bootloader to the USB device.

* Make sure to use a network configuration which can adapt to the different
  environments you will be using the USB device in e.g. DHCP rather than
  static IP etc. The default may work well :)

* Make sure to use the booting method of your target environment
  (BIOS vs. UEFI). In case of UEFI double-check that all boot-related
  stuff goes the USB device

Btw.: Did you get that backlight-script thing sorted out?
What was the solution in the end: sudo, udev, root?

HTH
Linux-Fan