Re: I need to be root to run this script

On Mi, 15 ian 20, 01:36:23, kaye n wrote:
> Hello Friends
>
> I copied a script called backlight-brightness from the directory,
> /usr/local/bin
> of another GNU/Linux distro,
> and pasted it to the same directory of my Debian system.
>
>  If I run it in terminal,
> kaye@laptop:~$ backlight-brightness
> backlight-brightness: You need to be root to run this script
>
> Is it possible to be able to execute the script without being root?

Apparently the message is produced by the script itself, so no.

Seeing the script would confirm this. Linux distros put their code out
in the open, if you would mention which distro we might be able to find
it.

> If it matters, in the other distro I would just press some key-binding that
> allows me to enter an app name so I can run it, (much like in Debian where
> I would press Alt-F2 which opens Application Finder and I would type an app
> name to execute it) , and I would type in backlight-brightness and it would
> open, no root needed.

It appears as if the other distro configured their system to run stuff
as root, without password. Without more information we can only guess.

Kind regards,
Andrei