I need to be root to run this script

Hello Friends

I copied a script called backlight-brightness from the directory,
/usr/local/bin
of another GNU/Linux distro,
and pasted it to the same directory of my Debian system.

 If I run it in terminal,
kaye@laptop:~$ backlight-brightness
backlight-brightness: You need to be root to run this script

Is it possible to be able to execute the script without being root?

If it matters, in the other distro I would just press some key-binding that allows me to enter an app name so I can run it, (much like in Debian where I would press Alt-F2 which opens Application Finder and I would type an app name to execute it) , and I would type in backlight-brightness and it would open, no root needed.

Thank you.