Re: buster xfce fails to start

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 01:18:07PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 05:48:24PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
Why be imprecise like this?  Why not type out the exact error
message?

Here is a transcript from the screen of about a half of the lines
displayed (offhand, I do not know how to capture the response and get
it from the other machine to this one):

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server:  Connection refused
xinit: server error

Anyway, it *maybe* sounds like X isn't installed.  I would try
"apt-get install xorg".  If that actually installs a bunch of stuff,
then the guess was correct.

And, if X isn't installed, then it's possible that your chosen desktop
environment isn't installed either.  So you might need to install that
as well.

I installed via my local approx server, so I presume the easiest approach
is a fresh netinstall.

I routinely install via text-mode rather than GUI, and EXPERT mode.