Re: buster xfce fails to start

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 07:01:24PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 01:18:07PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 05:48:24PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > Why be imprecise like this?  Why not type out the exact error
> > message?
>
> Here is a transcript from the screen of about a half of the lines
> displayed (offhand, I do not know how to capture the response and get
> it from the other machine to this one):
>

> X.Org X Server 1.20.4

OK, my guess was wrong.

> Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server:  Connection refused
> xinit: server error

Based on this, it sounds like the X server is starting and then dying
quickly.  The next step would be to find its log file -- either
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log depending on stuff.

The contents of the X log file will hopefully give some clue as to why
it's dying.

It might also be helpful to show the output of "lspci -nn" and the
output of "dmesg | grep -i firmware" (the latter may require root).