Re: No sound with Pulseaudio

On another system I found pulseaudio blocking speech-dispatcher when
festival was used for screen reader output.  Pulseaudio works for sound
but spd-say part of speech-dispatcher which produces speech gets blocked
by pulseaudio.  I proved this by removing pulseaudio and choosing alsa as
the output device in spd-conf and when I did that, speech-dispatcher and
spd-say had no trouble at all working and speaking.  For gnome, pulseaudio
is tied into too many other applications by dependencies so if you get
gnome on a system (maybe you can run it without pulseaudio included), I
haven't tried installing gnome without pulseaudio yet but that'll be
something else I try in a while.