Re: Debian Graphical Installer: why does it format swap?

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 15:40:56 +0000
Clod Turner <clodturner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Longer version of the question : –
>
> Why does the Debian Graphical installer compromise any other Linux
> install on the same HDD/SSD by reformatting swap. I doubt that it
> affects Windows since it does not use swap (I do not have any Windows
> installed so cannot test).

Windows uses a swap file, not a separate partition. We are told that
there is no performance penalty for Linux to do so also.

> I used debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso to add an installation to the
> same HDD as my main Mint/Mate installation. I used the Graphical
> Installer (which is recommended for new users)

Did you select the expert installation from the advanced options? It
could certainly be argued that someone building a multi-boot system is
not a 'new user'.

As far as I can recall, the expert system allows you to designate
existing partitions to be used or not, and also whether to reformat
them. Someone using hibernation with multiple OSes would not want them
to share /swap.

--
Joe