Re: how to create debian live usb

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 11:44:47 +0800
kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I don't know if my flash drives are corrupted or not, but I haven't
> been successful creating live USB using the following commands:

I am guessing you are using these instructions:
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

> cp <file> <device>
>
> dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync

Give us *exactly* the commands you are using and we might be able to
help.

> The flash drive contains the iso file along with many
> other files that seem to be corrupted - no file name, just weird
> icons.

Something is wrong there, but without the *exact* command you are
using, it's hard to tell.

It is possible the USB drive is going bad. A run with badblocks may be
indicated.

> Are my flash drives corrupted?  Should I try the following commands?
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx
> sudo mkfs.msdos -f 32 /dev/sdxx

The first one is unnecessary. If the plan is to get an ISO image onto
the device, then the second is also unnecessary. In both cases, the
result will be over-written by the next command.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/

First I used gparted to format the entire flash drive to fat32.

Then I executed the command in terminal:

sudo dd if=debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync

which resulted in a non-working flash drive; when I looked at it in gparted, there was a small black partition, and the rest was empty.  Doesn't matter now, I'm zeroing the flash drive as I'm typing this. How long does it take to zero an 8gb flash drive anyway? I forgot to put "status=progress" in the zeroing command, so now I don't know how long I have to wait.