Re: convert english+greek emacs file to pdf - mutt configuration

On Mon 18 Nov 2019 at 03:15:06 (+0000), Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 07:44:48PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > On Sat 16 Nov 2019 at 20:07:42 (+0100), deloptes wrote:
> > You don't say how the problem manifested itself. My buster/mutt
> > displays the post as I assume the writer desired it to appear.
> > The email was in UTF-8 despite not declaring itself to be so.
>
> I found in the mutt manual about half a dozen mentions of charset, but
> I do not at the moment have the time or energy to dig through all that
> and figure out what needs to be done.
>
> But if my Mutt is mis-configured and someone can tell me how to
> correct it, I shall be happy to comply.

My own configuration file ~/.mutt/muttrc contains the line:
set		send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
and this causes emails to be sent with:
instead.

> My cc: of the message in question displays ? instead of Greek
> characters, but that is of no concern to me, inasmuch as my inquiry
> was regarding printing stuff displayed on a web page, in connection
> with Bible study.  I do not at this time have need for Greek in email.

By your cc:, do you mean the locally written file copy or the post
sent to you by the list server (assuming you're subscribed, which you
appear to be). If you don't have any other occurrence of the string
"charset" in your muttrc configuration file, then I'm wondering
what your locale is set to. Mine is:
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
$ grep '^[a-z]' /etc/locale.gen
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
$

> Besides, I am running neoMutt simply because that is the only option I
> have in Debian 9.  Whenever I upgrade to Debian 10 or 11, I plan to
> run Mutt, rather than neoMutt.

I just booted up my old stretch system, and I get the same contents
displayed as with buster. Like you, I'm using what Debian provides
for mutt. I made no change to my configuration when upgrading.

(I haven't taken an interest in the mutt/neomutt debate/argument.)

Cheers,
David.