Re: pkg-config does not see a package that i installed via apt-get (libmypaint)

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
<snip>
> $ apt-file search libmypaint.pc
> libmypaint-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libmypaint.pc
>
> The .pc file for libmypaint is in libmypaint-dev, not in libmypaint-1.3-0.
>
> Try installing the -dev package.

To elaborate on this a little --
In general, a package libfoo includes the library necessary to run a
program compiled against that library, but not any files needed to
actually compile that program.  I find I almost never need to install a
library like this directly, since any programs using it will have it as
a dependency.

The corresponding libfoo-dev package will include the needed header and
other files (including libfoo.pc) needed to compile a program making use
of the library.  It will normally have libfoo as a dependency, so
installing libfoo-dev will be all you need to do manually to be able to
compile against and use libfoo.