Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

Thanks for the feedback.

On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 23:35:05 +0100
Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> wrote:

> Charles Curley writes:
>

> > https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/index.html
>
> [...]
>
> Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that I am not the only one with a
> backup system composed of multiple tools with different timings and
> occasions of invocation :)

They just metastasize over the years.

> One point where my opinion is slightly different (might boil down to
> taste, but that's part of the feedback?). Quoting from the blog:
>
> > Some stuff isn't worth the disk space to back up because you can
> > regenerate it or re-install it just as easily. Caches, such as a web
> > proxy's. Executables you can re-install, like your office suite.
>
> I personally think it is (especially today) not so easy to keep track
> of all the programs one actually needs and where to get them.
> Additionally, one should take into consideration, whether the
> avaiability of Internet access (needed for software re-installation
> unless other measures are taken) is really part of the assumptions
> for backup restoring? I try to put some effort into
> 100%-offline-restoration.

I see your point. I certainly expect to do bare metal restoration with
local resources only, and see to it that everything I need to do that
is available.

> At the same time, I try to avoid "disk image"-style backups, because
> they are hard to make (usually the system needs to be offline for
> this) and they are hard to restore: What if my server with 4x2T HDDs
> just dies. By tomorrow, I will not have another server, a humble
> laptop with 500 GB HDD might be all there is for the moment.
> Restoring images is infeasible in that situation, a normal
> "reinstallation" is less (but might be: consider borrowing a computer
> frome someone else for some time. In that case it will likely be
> impossible to change the OS and thus the software installation might
> be limited...)

Both good points. That is part of your disaster recovery planning: can
you get a replacement box quickly enough. I've had clients buy a spare
box and keep it off site. Another key part of disaster recovery is: how
quickly do you have to be back up and running?

One reason I like amanda is that you can restore without having amanda
on the machine with the files. I've never actually had to do that,
fortunately. Also amanda lets you select individual files to restore.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/