Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

Charles Curley writes:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 20:24:52 +0100
Konstantin Nebel <konnebel@gmx.de> wrote:

[...]

> So now I am thinking. How should I approach backups. On windows it
> does magically backups and remind me when they didnt run for a while.
> I like that attitude.
>
> On linux with all that decision freedom it can be good and bad cause
> you have to think about things :D

I started writing a reply to this several days ago, and realized it
would make a good blog entry. I'd appreciate feedback.

https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/index.html

[...]

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that I am not the only one with a backup
system composed of multiple tools with different timings and occasions of
invocation :)

One point where my opinion is slightly different (might boil down to taste,
but that's part of the feedback?). Quoting from the blog:

Some stuff isn't worth the disk space to back up because you can
regenerate it or re-install it just as easily. Caches, such as a web
proxy's. Executables you can re-install, like your office suite.

I personally think it is (especially today) not so easy to keep track of all
the programs one actually needs and where to get them. Additionally, one
should take into consideration, whether the avaiability of Internet access
(needed for software re-installation unless other measures are taken) is
really part of the assumptions for backup restoring? I try to put some
effort into 100%-offline-restoration.

At the same time, I try to avoid "disk image"-style backups, because they
are hard to make (usually the system needs to be offline for this) and they
are hard to restore: What if my server with 4x2T HDDs just dies. By
tomorrow, I will not have another server, a humble laptop with 500 GB HDD
might be all there is for the moment. Restoring images is infeasible in that
situation, a normal "reinstallation" is less (but might be: consider
borrowing a computer frome someone else for some time. In that case it will
likely be impossible to change the OS and thus the software installation
might be limited...)

YMMV
Linux-Fan