Re: raspberry pi installation with debian installer

basti dijo [Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 09:58:11PM +0100]:
> Hello Mailinglist,
> Hello Gunnar,

Hi, and thanks for the explicit mention :-]

> I get the debian installer running on my rpi3.
> This post is just to inform about the general possibility and for
> documentation propose on debian wiki.

OK, this is quite exciting news! It's great to see the Raspberries
being closer to a first-tier architecture in Debian. TBH, I believe
for almost all RPi users it will be easier to use the installed images
— But yes, I can perfectly understand many will feel this to be better
and more official.

Given you already did all this legwork... Could you add this
information to the Wiki yourself? It's always better if the person
that did the work and has the hands-on knowledge does it.

> test with arm64 mode on rpi3b+
>
> you need:
> - sdcard with binary blob vfat partition (I use it from
> https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPiImages)
> - usb stick for arm64 installer
>
> todo:
> - download arm64-netinstall iso
> - copy iso to usb stick (cp debian-10.1.0-arm64-netinst.iso /dev/sdx)
> - copy vmlinuz and initrd.gz from stick to sdcard
> - edit config.txt to boot vmlinuz and initrd.gz
> - insert sdcard and usb stick to raspi and start

Umh, this looks like quite a bit of "legwork". I understand you are
basically proving it is _possible_ to boot into d-i, but this all
should probably be prepared into a first-blob bit of a hybrid image:

    https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/arm64/ch04s03.en.html

> - ignore missing firmware, brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin is wlan, can be
> installed later (firmware-brcm80211)

AIUI, you can also drop this file in your USB drive and have it picked
up by the installer.

> toto:
> - not all languages are shown correctly in installer

This seems quite odd...

Thanks a lot!