Re: Want to install info node for elisp in emacs on stretch

On Ma, 15 oct 19, 17:10:49, Dan Hitt wrote:

> I will keep my oar out of the water about the complex beast, but since
> i'm in oldstable, does that mean i need to upgrade before too long?
> (I've been using debian 9 since February 2017.)

If your expectation is to receive security updates from Debian you need
to upgrade before the end of such support[1].

If your expectation is to receive some security support, possibly not
for all packages you are using, then stretch will most likely be
included in the LTS project for extended security suport[3].

In this case you can continue using stretch for additional 2 years.

If you don't expect or need any security support then you can continue
using stretch for as long as you like, provided you have working
compatible hardware.

In this case please disconnect the system from the internet when it
doesn't receive security updates anymore.

[1] one year after the release of the next stable, or the next stable
release, whichever comes first[2]

[2] for the avoidance of doubt, the next Debian release will most likely
happen in 2021

[3] https://www.debian.org/lts

Hope this explains,
Andrei