Re: Hard disks auto-spinning-down

On 10/29/19 12:59 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:44:48PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Ma, 01 oct 19, 15:49:57, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>>>
>>> You may want to try hd-idle, it is not yet available in stable, but one
>>> can install it from testing (it is not advisable in general, but the
>>> divergence between buster and testing is not that big right now)
>>> wget it from
>>> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/hd-idle/hd-idle_1.05+ds-2_amd64.deb
>>> or any other Debian mirror and edit /etc/default/hd-idle in order to
>>> start the daemon.
>>> See man hd-idle for the details.
>>
>> One could also write to debian-backports, CC: the maintainer and ask
>> nicely for a backport ;)

It had been sitting in the backport queue at the moment of writing the
email above as far as I remember. I just didn't know how long would it
take until it is approved :)

> Thanks for all this help, guys. Does anyone have any thoughts on why one
> generation of an external disk cage wouldn't require this and just spun
> down the disks automatically when idle, but the new one does require
> incantations to do so? Bearing in mind that a Mac-using friend of mine
> reports the same (new) model of cage does spin down the disks when
> connected to a Mac without him having to have made any settings, so the
> cage isn't against spinning down the disks or anything weird... There's
> no reference at all to spinning down the disks in the cage's manual, but
> there wasn't in the old generation's manual either.

That's a complicated question, there are too many things which can
influence a disk. See this answer:

It would be actually pretty cool if you could test the workarounds and
post the results here.

Best,
Alex