Re: Hard disks auto-spinning-down

On 9/29/19 1:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Since a fresh install of buster, an external USB3 hard disk cage from
> Terramaster that I own is not automatically spinning down the disks in
> it when they go unused for a time.
>
> I used a previous generation of the cage with Stretch previously, it
> spun down the disks when they were not in use (actually a little too
> quickly for my taste) reliably and I don't recall doing anything to make
> that happen.
>
> Any thoughts on where I might look to find settings that can be tweaked
> to make it spin down when idle? A friend of mine uses the same cage with
> a Mac and says it spins down when not in use, so I feel like I should be
> able to do it somehow.
>
> The only thing I can think of that I've tweaked since installing buster
> is to disable suspend, as I didn't want the whole computer suspending
> when I was away for a bit, as this computer does a lot of background
> processing. I wonder if I overdid that and disabled something I should
> have left enabled? The solution to that problem involved disabling a
> couple of systemd targets.
>
> I just re-googled that problem because I couldn't remember what targets
> I disabled -- and now I see on the wiki that they are sleep.target
> hibernate.target suspend.target and hybrid-sleep.target. The wiki says
> to do "systemctl mask" on those targets but I suspect I followed someone
> else's advice and did "systemctl disable" on those targets.
>
> Any link to this problem? Otherwise where should I look?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

You may want to try hd-idle, it is not yet available in stable, but one
can install it from testing (it is not advisable in general, but the
divergence between buster and testing is not that big right now)
wget it from
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/hd-idle/hd-idle_1.05+ds-2_amd64.deb
or any other Debian mirror and edit /etc/default/hd-idle in order to
start the daemon.
See man hd-idle for the details.

Best,
Alex