Re: New Linux User needs some guidance

On 08-10-19, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 07/10/2019 19:04, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > lwhonaker@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I was under the impression, if I copied the dvd image to a usb stick,
> >> I could boot from the stick and start the install.
> >
> > This is true. You have to put it as image onto the raw USB stick device.
> >
> >   https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
> > proposes for GNU/Linux something like
> >   cp debian-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdd
> > where /dev/sdd is the device file representing the USB stick.
>
> I've been following this thread with interest, as right from the start
> it talks about "copying" the .iso image to the ssd. At risk of
> displaying some ignorance, and attracting flames, I think this is
> misleading and take issue with the FAQ.
>
> cp copies a file onto s file system, bit that's not what's wanted here.
> To create a bootable image from a .iso, you need 'dd', i.e.
> sudo dd bs=4M \
> if=/path-todebian-10.iso\
> of=/dev/sdx\
> oflag=sync
>
> Make sure you identify the correct usb stick for sdx, or you may end up
> overwriting something important.
>
> This is explained in detail at
> https://linuxize.com/post/create-bootable-debian-10-usb-stick-on-linux/
>
> It worked for me.
> Good luck, Tony
> --
> Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
> Buckinghamshire, England |

You do not need dd command to make bootable usb with iso image. You can
do that also with cat, or cp. All 3 ways will do, if you are doing it
from Linux system. For cat:

cat /path-to-downloaded-image.iso > /dev/sdX; sync ( X is number of the
drive, usually "b" but you need to check anyway, or you'll wipe some
drive instead )

for cp:

cp /path-to-downloaded-image.iso /dev/sdX; sync ( same as above applies )

sync is recommended to make sure that any data from RAM will be written
where it should go ( that all reads and writes will be executed and that
there will be nothing left in pending status ). To check on which device
you would like to write your image, you can use lsblk.

dd is useful command for creating various backup images, testing storage
devices and similar, but is certainly not required for making bootable
installation images on the usb devices.

Anyway, most of Linux newbies will not create usb from Linux machine
anyway, so I doubt that any of this will help OP. Personally, can't even
remember when I was creating usb image from anything but Linux, so can't
be of much help there.

All best,
Dejan